Cleaning Your DeVer Originals Creations
WITHOUT GEMSTONES (i.e. all metal)
- To maintain the original condition of your jewelry, you can either use a polishing cloth or simply wash your bracelet (and fully dry it) using basic soap and water occasionally. These are good "preventative" measures to keep the piece from tarnishing to begin with. The biggest enemy of our jewelry is our own sweat (I know, gross but so true!) and the perfumes, lotions and hair sprays that we apply ourselves, not realizing those things get on our jewelry. If we don't get it off, it results in tarnishing and dulling of our jewelry.
- When you are not wearing your jewelry, store it in a cool, dry place. Zip-lock bags and individual cloth pouches are ideal for this and will help prevent tarnishing. You can also purchase “anti-tarnish” strips to keep in the bags with your jewelry. Also, the tissue paper in your DeVer Originals box IS anti-tarnish tissue paper.
- Never immerse ANY jewelry in chlorine, salt water, mineral springs, and suntan lotion. Remember, some household cleaners contain chlorine bleach. All of these things can cause discoloration or dulling.
- If tarnishing does occur, you can use a jewelry cleaner dip that is specific for sterling silver. You will not harm the gold filled metal with a good jewelry cleaner.
- You can also try scrubbing the tarnished areas with an old toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Another option to remember, you can mail the piece to me and I will clean the piece for you and do my very best to bring it back to its original luster. All I ask is that you include $8 so I can mail the piece back to you.
- You can invest in a small ultrasonic cleaner. Just be sure to read the directions completely to be sure it is safe for your jewelry.
- The most important thing to remember is not to wait until the piece is terribly tarnished. It is much easier to take the preventative measures than to try to take off a years worth of tarnish.
It is critically important to be aware of the gemstones that are in your pieces. For some, like (non-druzy) jaspers and most agates, you can use the same steps noted above. But others require some special handling. Soft gemstones will need special care. Soft stones are pearls, opals, turquoise, malachite, cameos, coral, lapis, and any kind of druzy. The best course of treatment is to take the less aggressive preventative measures, so tarnishing or dulling is not a problem. If tarnishing becomes a problem and you are unsure, email me and I can give you specific advice for your piece. OR, take advantage of my offer and mail the piece to me for cleaning. I can, in most cases, remove the stone from the setting and clean the metal, then re-insert the gemstone.
Above all, I want you to be able to enjoy your DeVer Original creation for many, many years – so please always let me know if I can be of assistance to you!